[Coladam] Mon voyage à Whitby pour le 17e Adamcon

Dale Wick dalemwick at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:13:20 EDT 2005

Daniel,

Thanks for your account.  I hope to write up my own AdamCon report soon
(while it's still fresh in my mind.  When I got home I slept and slept.  I
even missed my Game Design course Monday night.

For others, if you're French is weak, here is a bad translation from
babelfish.altavista.com, sorry:

Day 1 - Thursday July 14, 2005

I rise early, I takes a rapid breakfast and I leave to travel by the bus
which brings me in Montreal. During the voyage by bus, I listen to music
during approximately 2 hours. My neighbor on other side of the central alley
records, from time to time, of the vocal comments on a Powerpoint
presentation; people around do not appreciate at all. In Montreal, I call
Guy Foster as envisaged. It arrives at the bus stop with his Sandra wife. I
settle with the back with my bag and my bag with back. Before leaving, Guy
asks to me whether I know the address of the hotel; that begins a voyage
well to know this kind of information. I show him a sheet with the
instructions to go there, and answers me that it will find the hotel in way
well. Guy programs his GPS for Whitby in order to know which is the shortest
way to go there. The music rock'n'roll in the radio, some teasings between
Guy and Sandra, and here us are party for Whitby. The subjects for
conversation which generally return during the voyage are: "flies with
roe-deer" and "the horraire of Adamcon". In way, we take the exit for
Brockville and eat in ChaletSuisse. * Anecdote * By taking again the road,
Guy takes the wrong way in spite of the GPS and must make a turning to turn
over on the motorway. In Whitby, we easily find the hotel, I already join
the others arrived in the room of conference with my business. Several
people are already present of which the brothers Dale and Neil Wick, Ron,
Bob and Judy. A few hours later, Guy Bona arrives at the hotel. Several had
a laptop and benefitted from access Internet without fil.Vers 21h, they
bought pizza pie for those which were there. I spoke in French and English
during the evening, and I have apris that I was going finally to sleep with
the hotel with room 222 with Dale, his Jillian wife and their Jeffrey son.
To the room, I leave my clothing the bag, I take a few seconds to write and
I fall asleep happy.

Day 2 - Friday July 15, 2005

I rise while seeing by the window the red sun in the gray sky. I find that
the weather is cold in the room. I leave to have the breakfast: bread,
scrambled eggs, dry grapes, potatos roties out of dice, a fruit juice banana
and glass. Then the first day of Adamcon 17 starts... After a word of
welcome on behalf of Dale Wick, Murray presents the evolution of the
computers from the first counting frame to super the computers of today
while passing by the computer Adam de Coleco. One stops time to eat a little
all together. Neil Wick continues Adamcon with a review of the cutting out
of newspapers and magazines on the Coleco company since the end of the years
' 70 until * the CRASH LANDING * from ' 84. Guy Bona presents at his turn
his programs QuickBASIC and VisualBASIC concerning the management tools of
images of Adam diskettes. Dale presents the theory "Game Balancing" going
back to before ColecoVision and which is always valid today: this
presentation shows how to make the plays pleasant in the case of "Player VS
Joueur" and "Player VS Ordinateur". Bob Slopsema presents a rapid tower of
what one can find on eBay concerning Coleco Adam and ColecoVision. Then, the
evening arrived, after a good meal, each one done what he wants. Me, I am
stressed a little because I do not have any presentation of ready for
tomorrow. Guy and me let us try to modify its source code to make a special
demo for Adamcon 17. I dessinne the logo of Adamcon 17 while Guy left. I
remain in the room of conference all the evening for reading and writing
messages (e-mail and forum). Before going to lay down me, I try to write
some lines for tomorrow, but it is really too late and I fall asleep almost
at once.

Day 3 - Saturday July 16, 2005

I take the microphone, but one beckons to me to point the microphone with
Ron which has a TOP-10 to read. Unfortunately, the microphone was with OFF.
I begin then my presentation of Colecoshop, Spectar, CV-Drum, Astro
Invaders, my SoundBank project, I pass the microphone to Guy Foster so that
it shows the demo programmed the day before and what it is made relating to
at present on AtariAge ColecoVision. Having taken a little too much time,
the presentation of Neil on "Capturing Moments with DIGITAL Media" is
cancelled. Dale Wick present of the ColecoVision plays and request at all
which are the points of "Game Balancing" seen yesterday which are used in
these plays. Harvie arrives at the hotel. In the afternoon, we go in "Cullen
Gardens" where we see an immense park filled with houses and attractions
mignatures based on the history of Whitby, the aggrémenté whole of plants,
bridges, a mini marina and a railroad where passes two electric trains. The
come evening, I help Dale to prepare an environment hi-tech C with Coleco
bookshops, and we speak on line on the Adamcon cat... even if the majority
of people on the cat are in the room of conference. Outside, there is a
fireworks and later, three of them left to buy the new book "Harry Potter".

Day 4 - Sunday July 17, 2005

The morning starts extremely with a presentation on the electronic
comparison of architecture between ColecoVision, the MSX-1 and Coleco Adam.
Then, Dale continuous on the subject of "Game Balancing" where it shows
codes concerning a play that it began. I propose in Dale to continue the
programming of the play based on his presentation. Rich Clee and France
arrive at the hotel. Bob speaks about the A.N.N. France speaks about Adam
stock to withdraw his house before it is not wounded: Dr. Rich Drushel
proposes to sort stock and to recover the maximum of it. The schedule of
Adamcon is not any more followed during the afternoon. With the supper, in
Krebs, we celebrate the birthday of Jillian. Of return to the hotel, we take
photographs of group and Ron continues the reading of the TOP-10, and a
contest "Rock Paper Chisel" is followed from there between Dale, Bob and
Erin. Several from go away already, one says itself to aurevoir. The come
evening, whereas some look at film "Camp-site Wild", I code my better play
of Dale, but I must give up the project towards 3h morning.

Day 5 - Monday July 18, 2005

After the breakfast, Dale shows me what it did during the night on the play;
there remain still some bugs and some routines to be added, but after two
hours of coding that quickly becomes playable before the hour of the
departure. I am so glad there to have been that I cry about it of joy. Guy
Foster, his Sandra wife and me let us leave towards 11h. We stop in Cornwall
to eat in the "Wendy' S". From there, I propose in my turn CD of music:
"Rock'n'roll and Beautiful Ears". Returned in Montreal, at the bus stop, I
have just time to embark for the departure for Quebec. In the bus, I sleep
during two hours, tired but happy of this long end of semaine.Vers 21h, I am
back at home, healthy and except. I am in a hurry to re-examine these people
who accomodated me so well.