[Coladam] Re: adam disk drive

Ron MItchell bytehacker at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 6 13:09:02 EST 2005

Interesting you should ask.

At least one of my 5 disk drives is in the same shape, because a number of
years ago, (back in Ottawa), I bought a 5-1/4 inch drive mechanism hoping it
would work. Same result as you described.

To answer your "basic" question, you need to use the "Input" plug on the
floppy drive. The Adamnet connector goes from the Adamnet plug on the side
of your ADAM to the "Input" plug on the floppy drive. If you had a second
drive, you would connect it from the "Output" of the first drive to the
"Input" of the second drive.

I'm not sure that the jumpers on the floppy drive unit make any difference.
Seems to me that the ADAM circuitry didn't really care whether a drive was
set as master or slave, or whatever. OF COURSE, I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE
WRONG. There were some ADAM disk drives that were equipped with a
"disk-in-place" sensor, which had to be connected to whatever drive
mechanism was there. Unfortunately, the detail on that escapes me. I know
that in a couple of cases over the years, I couldn't get a particular drive
mechanism to work, because I was attempting to put it into an ADAM drive
that had been modified to read 360k rather than the original 160k. Each of
the ADAM suppliers providing disk drives to the community at the time had a
different method of wiring to recognize a "disk in place".  I'm not sure if
there's anyone left in the community who knows what is required in that
regard.

That doesn't help much, I know.  If needs be, what I could do is have a look
at one of my working drives here and at least see how the jumpers are
configured. If that would be of any assistance, let me know. I'm going send
this reply, along with your original message to the ADAM list, just to see
if anyone else has a clue.

Ron