[Coladam] IDE/flash drive

Dale Wick dmwick at adamcon.org
Wed Feb 8 18:21:24 EST 2006

I was talking with a friend of mine over the weekend on this topic, and
the compact flash standard specifies that the compact flash cards work
in one of three modes. He said they they are: IDE emulation, memory
mapped or whatever the PCMCIA standard says to do.  The cable is almost
a straight pass through for IDE mode with a grounded pin or two.

I'd like to try this on my system, to see how well it works.  I wouldn't
be likely to buy a sped up one, but instead one of the 64MB shoot and
store ones.  When I try it, I'll give you an update.  The only drawback
is that a sector has a 10,000 write MTBF (mean time between failure),
which could be an issue for the directory sectors. But small, light,
portable and low power consumption would all be plusses.

Dale