[Coladam] IDE/flash drive

Slopsema, Doug dslopsema at hollowdreams.com
Wed Feb 8 21:26:13 EST 2006

On this note, I was able to acquire one of the compact flash to IDE
adapter cards.  From what I can tell all of the adapters require a 4 pin
power connector.

When I tried this adapter with an old 16mb compact flash card I had
laying around, the ADAM would not recognize device as an IDE hard drive.
The ADAM programs used to partition and initialize the hard drive would
freeze up when attempting to access the card.  I had the same result
with a 256mb compact flash card in the adapter.  Due to the above
failure I decided to try a couple of other devices I had lying around
the house.

First, I tried attaching an internal one gigabyte IDE SPARQ drive made
by Syquest.  This drive worked just like my IDE 120mb hard drive in the
ADAM attached to a power connector soldered to the power connector in
the base of the ADAM using an ADAM printer power supply.

Second, I tried attaching an internal one hundred megabyte IDE ZIP
drive.  This drive would not work unless I attached the drive to an IBM
power supply.  I am guessing that this drive requires more amperage to
spin up the disk as every time it attempted to the image on the ADAM
screen flickered.  Once hooked to an external power supply, this drive
worked great as well.

After a little more thought I decided to try the compact flash adapter
again.  I changed the IDE cable (no idea why the idea popped into my
mind) and everything seemed to work fine.  It appears to be quick in
responding, but have not had any of the problems we were experiencing
earlier with the larger IDE drives.  The hard drive parameters I used in
the are as follows:
16mb compact flash (1024 cylinders, 2 heads, 16 sectors = 16384kb)
256mb compact flash (1024 cylinders, 8 heads, 16 sectors = 65536kb)

>From what I remember from the past the largest hard drive partition
accessible by the ADAM is 64mb.