[Coladam] Re: help

Ron Mitchell bytehacker at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 8 13:10:48 EDT 2006

Hi James

I have your message, and I'm going to have to do a little research and get
back to you. Sound on the emulator setup has always been problematic. Some
IBM's it works on, some it does not. On my Acer laptop, for example, that
ADAM sounds like it's got a very bad cold. I've never played with the
settings in Marcel deKogel's configuration setup, so I'll have to check it
out. (hopefully before Chicago). Maybe in solving my problem I can help with
yours.

As far as the disk drive is concerned - It runs in my mind that any piece of
standard IBM-world  drive mechanics will work with that controller, but
there are some where the jumper settings had to be played with to make it
happen. Memory fades. Again, I'll have to get back to you, and this one
might have to wait for brighter minds at the 'con (Dale, or Rich Clee ....)
It strikes me that there were some wiring changes around the "disk in place"
switch, and that standard drive mechanics required some re-wiring before
they would work.

You're right. It's highly unlikely that all of those disks would be bogus.
Could be the drive, or it could be the "interleave" settings in the
conversion process.

For example
When I take a 3-1/2 inch floppy disk that works on my ADAM, and make a disk
image of it using DCOPY, that image will not work on the emulator. It has to
be run through the CONVDISK utility, to adjust the number of tracks per
sector and the interleave value. On the ADAM floppy, the tracks per sector
are 18, and the interleave value is 4.  To work on the Emulator, the tracks
per sector value has to be changed to 8, and the interleave value to 5.
Then, the damn thing will work.

So it all depends on what type of 5-1/4 inch floppies you're trying to
convert. Standard 160k Adam floppies are supposed to work without
adjustment. Anything other than that requires CONVDISK adjustment. You might
want to check out Guy Bona's utility page for programs that will do all this
for you.

Re the Mitsumi drive, I'm not sure. I have a 3-1/2 inch MicroInnovations
drive, but I'm never pulled it apart to see what's inside. Things around
here don't respond to well to me pulling them apart. If they're working -
these days, I tend to leave them alone.

Let me see if I can find out more about the emulator sound.

I'm taking the liberty of sending your message and this reply to the ADAM
list.  Somebody else might have an idea or two.
Ron