[Coladam] VDP upgrade?

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 30 08:21:54 EDT 2006

This may have been done already, but I figured I'd ask.

While hunting around for info on the Yamaha V9938/9958 VDPs, I stumbled
across information talking about the Sega SG-1000 and Sega Master
System. The SG-1000 uses the same hardware that the ColecoVision uses
(same sound chip, same vdp, same processor). Then I looked at the SMS,
which is SG-1000 compatible. Turns out that it's VDP is a derivative of
the 9918 as well, but with some additional graphics modes (and more
colors, up to 64) and also a SN76489 sound generator built in (same as
the CV/Adam uses).

Has anyone ever attempted to interface one of these chips to the Adam as
an upgrade?