[Coladam] PC hard disk problems

Ron Mitchell bytehacker at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 25 12:30:16 EST 2006

Well Joe, I have the same thing happening here  and have more or less given
up.

I was running Windows XP and got tired of that, so now I'm running Windows
Vista. I'm never sure what drive letter I'm going to get, and sometimes on
power up (under both XP and Vista) the external USB drive is not recognized
at all.

The only "workaround" I can discover is to turn the power off on the
external hard drive, and then turn it on again. That forces the system to
re-detect the hard drive. Whatever letter it assigns at that point is what
it is (for that session only).

Don't particularly like this state of affairs, but at least I can use the
drive (read from it, write to it) after I do that.

Not much help, but might be better than nothing.

Ron