[Coladam] adamcon

Neil Wick neil at wick.net
Thu May 31 17:22:49 EDT 2007

Sorry for all these messages but I want to keep everyone up-to-date.  I
was talking to the Best Western manager this afternoon and his rates are
very good.  I think we'll go there on the July 26-29 weekend unless I get
a very attractive offer from the Holiday Inn, who haven't gotten back to
me yet.

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Frances and/or Richard Clee wrote:

> However do be aware that favourable prices are unlikely to be available
> for accommodation over the August Civic Holiday weekend.

   I didn't even ask about the August long weekend or the July 1 Canada
Day weekend.  To me they weren't even an option.

> You might want to disclose your thoughts on food. Time was when
> Hull/Gatineau had a reputation for quite high quality dining at very
> fair prices; what will be available now though is something on which
> suggestions will be welcome.

   I haven't decided yet about food.  There is a restaurant in the Best
Western (and two in the Holiday Inn).  I'm not too familiar with the
restaurants in Hull.  Being a student doesn't pay too well, so my budget
for eating out is limited.  When I do go out for food, it's usually on the
Ottawa side of the river.  Within 2 or three blocks of the Best Western,
there is a St-Hubert Chicken, a Green Papaya Thai vegetarian restaurant
and a French restaurant.  There is also a McDonald's about 5 blocks away
and several different restaurants in the Museum of Civilization about 3-4
blocks away.

   The Best Western restaurant, "Bristrot Cartier" according to the poorly
edited Best Western chain website (should be "Bistrot"), is open for
breakfast and supper, but not for lunch.  We could have them cater the
lunch.  We'll be going off premises on Saturday, so we could eat lunch out
I think.  That leaves 2 lunches FRiday and Sunday.  I was thinking that if
we wanted to get sandwiches from Tim Horton's, as we did in Comox (and
maybe in Whitby too), it would be nice to have a sort of picnic at the
park right across the road.

   Unlike last year, breakfasts are not included in the room rates.
(Although a donut and a muffin was about the limit last year and I got
tired of that pretty quickly).  I could ask about them catering
breakfasts, but maybe people would prefer a la carte at the hotel
restaurant.

   At the moment, I haven't decided about the banquet.  There is a very
wide variety of restaurants of every type imaginable in the Byward Market
right across the bridge in Ottawa.  It's about a 20- to 30-minute walk,
but I expect that many people will have cars, so we could car pool (a
5-minute drive)

   Best Western meeting room is half the price of the Holiday Inn
($150/day vs. $300) and he's willing to throw in Thursday for free on the
meeting room.  The room is a little small for 20 people, but I think that
may be optimistic anyway.  If we do have 20, he has another room in the
basement that we could have for the same price.

   They don't have a posh lobby with skylights and a waterfall as the
Holiday Inn has, but the Best Western is more central.

   He will rent us rooms for $95/day (king or two queens).  There are 13
smoking rooms, on the smoking floor.  Parking is $7/day plus tax.

   So, for the meeting and guest room rentals (including parking but no
food at all or other overhead expenses), that comes to $168/person double
occupancy for 3 days, or $219/person double occupancy for 4 days, based on
15 delegates. $10 extra per day per person for an extra adult in the room,
kids under 17 are free (unless you need a cot).  Single occupancy is
obviously almost double the price, but we may be able to match people up
with roommates if anyone's single and amenable to that.

   You can probably deduct about 5% off that to roughly convert into the
U.S. dollar equivalent.

   Any thoughts on the catering situation?

Neil