[Coladam] Adam USB?

Frances and/or Richard Clee cleechez at tamcotec.com
Sat Jun 23 18:33:08 EDT 2007

Some personal reactions/ questions.

First, being a hoary old traditionalist, I'd see my ideal as a USB
interface that plugged into the Adam and let it use peripherals
directly, such as floppy drives, hard discs and printers. I'd really
rather not have to go through the DOS box if I don't have to.

In terms of size - isn't the biggest memory device (hard disc, memory
stick, whatever) 64 meg? Of course ADAMnet always allowed daisy-chaining
which USB does too - but given the size of ADAM programs, I doubt many
would be needed even to contain everything ever written.

There would, I suspect, be a big problem with drivers, not so much with
floppies or even hard discs, but for the more recent printers and
perhaps memory cards and their readers. And wouldn't a CD/DVD R/W unit
be neat? Though what one would do for a memory buffer, I'm not sure.

But this speculation just sounds incredibly marvellous, and something
that could go a long way to making the ADAM a useful machine (for
certain purposes) again. Don't know how to encourage the man, but would
certainly like to do it,

And has anyone told him about Adamcon yet?