[Coladam] adam news

Dale Wick dalemwick at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:16:29 EDT 2007

I also have been working on a USB interface card for the Adam.  I have a
board that I can get for $30 US, which is an AVR board, and includes a USB
OTG (Universal Serial Bus On The Go) controller, and 48 general I/O pins,
and 8 MB of flash.  I was hoping to get some help from Rich Drushel at
AdamCon concerning interfacing it to AdamNET.  The plan was to support disk
images on the built in flash + external flash drives that you connect up.
You could have 4 tape drives and 4 disk drives mounted at once.

As for how to change what is mounted, well, you could do it with a LCD
screen, and navigate through the disk images or create new ones.  It has a
built in 4 direction + clickable joystick, plus one other programmable
button.  So if I got it going, it could be self contained.  Maybe a whole
interfacing device would cost about $60 or something, with LCD and a small
enclosure, and the connectors for the Adam.  It would require external power
to work probably.  For testing I've been using a 9V battery when it is
running in host mode.   But it can for sure be powered by a 5V source.  So I
would have to check if AdamNET's power would be enough.  I suspect it might
be actually.

I haven't thought about printers, but it does include drivers for keyboard
and mouse interfacing, so as strange as it sounds, we could use the Adam
with a USB keyboard.

But of course I'm slow at these things, and have been working on this
project since December.  So I'm sure that someone else could easily beat me
to it.

I got mine from digikey, but here is the link to the information on the
Amtel site:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3879

and that links to digikey.

Dale