[Coladam] chat movies from ADAMcon 19

Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D. drushel at apk.net
Tue Jul 31 21:14:55 EDT 2007

[Neil Wick] spake unto the ether:

>    I tried downloading one just to see what would happen.  They don't play
> on my machine either and I have fairly extensive video drivers.

     I believe that the problem is an incorrectly set MacOS 9 filetype,
which is causing the webserver to treat it as text instead of binary, so
non-Classic Mac platforms get corruption from line break character
translation.  I have had this problem before.  The drushel webserver is
a MacOS 9 machine.

     When I get to work tomorrow morning, I will fix the filetype so
that the movies are treated as binary.  On my MacOS X laptop, where the
DivX movies were created, they play perfectly fine with the latest version
of DivX.  They were created with the licensed DivX converter app (I paid
the $20 fee).  They play in the DivX player as well as in QuickTime.

     So, it isn't the encoding of the files, it's the webserver misbehaving.

     *Dr. D.*