[Coladam] Doug Paterson

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 14 20:41:32 EDT 2007

Just had a call from Charlotte Paterson. Apparently Doug passed away
on Wednesday night. She says he went peacefully in his sleep.

Just thought I'd let you know. I imagine that Tony and John would
remember Doug, Bill might not. He was a member of the original ADAM
User Friendly Group well before I was, and if it wasn't for a chance
meeting with him in the Ottawa Public Library one day in the spring
of 1985, I might not have met the rest of you. Was headed to the
check-out counter that day with an ADAM book tucked under my arm, and
Doug stopped me and introduced himself. He told me about AUFG, and
the rest, as they say, is history.

Seems like hardly a week would go by in the following 2 years where
we wouldn't meet at lunch time to exchange software, or talk about
the latest dealings with various ADAM suppliers or newsletters
publishers at the time. He was a real friend.

So Charlotte tells me that the ADAM gear is still stowed in the
basement. Apparently he wouldn't let her throw it out. Neil, you
might want to give Charlotte a call- she says she's not quite sure
what to do with the stuff. Don't know what he has, but I know he had
all sorts of stuff including one of Syd's tape formatters.

I don't think Doug would have been known to the wider ADAM community,
but  James might perhaps remember him. Tony and John certainly would.

Fortunately I was able to talk to Doug on the phone when I was there
for Adamcon, although we never did get together as planned. Too bad.

If anyone wants to get in touch with Charlotte the phone number is
613-747-5541. Apparently the obit is written up in the Ottawa Citizen
(Thursday or today, not sure which).

Ron Mitchell