[Coladam] Introduction, and questions

Troy Forsythe troy.forsythe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:01:49 EDT 2007

Good afternoon everyone,

First let me introduce myself, I'm new to the ADAM list and was referred to
it by Rich Drushel.  I'm located in Ontario Canada and I had an ADAM back in
the mid 80s, but sadly it got passed on to relatives and that was the last
that I saw of it.  Nostalgia got the better of me, and I recently picked up
an ADAM from an eBay auction and I've been working through trying to get it
up and running with Rich's help.  Since taking it apart a number of new
questions have been raised and I'd appreciate any information from anyone
who might know.

Here we go...

1.  How do I determine the revision number of the ROMS on the ADAM board,
and can someone confirm where the ROM chips are located, and which is
which?  I believe that they are U21, U22, U8 (empty on my board) and U20?
My chips have the following information on them

U21
443 VC 5174
2369-4201
R42269D
COLECO 1983
KOREA-A

U22
COLECO 1984
R41545
2475014
M448978 8442G

U8 (empty)

U20
COLECO 1984
R41539
2475013
M448985 8440G

2.  From what I understand U6 and U24 are 6801s?  Are they interchangeable?
Mine have heat sinks on them so I cannot see anything on the top of the
chips.

3.  I have a 40 PIN coleco chip at U7 which I believe is the MIOC, is this
correct?

U7
AMI 8341MAE
CO4923
1983 COLECO
R41271
PHILIPPINES

4. If U21, U22, U8 and U20 are for ROMS, is it possible to purchase 2764
EPROM chips from somewhere (eBay perhaps) and then somehow take the ROM
images from the Adam emulator, and dump them to the chips to use as
replacements?

5. I read through the technical manual to get an understanding of the boot
process for the ADAM, and in Software section 2.3 Power Up/Computer reset
procedure, I was wondering about step three, which checks for device
presence.  I wanted to confirm that during step 3 and 4 with the check for
the Datapak drives and media, that there should be drive activity?  My
thought is, if there is supposed to be drive activity during the process,
and I'm not seeing any, then it would stand to reason that maybe the EOS ROM
which is checked in step 2 has a problem although as I said I'm not sure how
to identify which ROM chip this actually is.
6.  I recently pulled out U22, and underneath the chip, in the socket was a
very thin brown piece which was the length of a the U22 chip, with one pin
at each of the four corners.  On the top it reads Q-28.07.  Does anyone know
what this is?