[Coladam] ADAMCon passport requirement

Neil Wick neil at wick.net
Mon Apr 7 00:50:22 CEST 2008

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, Joe Blenkle wrote:

> ... it suddenly occured to me...don't U.S. residents have to have
> passports to cross the border into Canada now? This could put a damper
> on attendance if people are unaware of the new law. Although I'm not
> completely sure it has taken effect yet.

   The requirement for passports at land and sea crossings has been
delayed until June 1, 2009, but there is a new requirement as of January
31, 2008.  Adults are now required to show both proof of citizenship such
as a birth certificate and government issued ID such as a driver's
license.  Previously, a birth certificate alone was usually sufficient and
many people crossed with only a verbal declaration.  (Some states and
provinces are developing enhanced driver's licenses that will be usable
instead of passports between Canada and U.S.  I think B.C. already has
them available.)

   There has already been a passport requirement for air travel since
about 2 years ago, but there is still lots of time to get a passport.
The Canadian government is issuing them generally in about 2 weeks, just
at the moment (plus mailing time).  I'm not sure about the U.S., but it's
probably not so different.  U.S. passports are normally good for 10 years
as I understand.  You're going to need one eventually anyway to go
anywhere out of the country.

Neil