[Coladam] SmartWriter ROMs

Troy Forsythe troy.forsythe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:10:25 CEST 2008

I managed to do some detective work last night and I've established that the
SmartWriter code actually occupies two 16K ROM chips in the system.  I've
read the code from both of the chips and they match with the emulator code,
so it would seem that the chips are good.  However I still cannot determine
which sockets the chips should be in to be properly called when the system
boots.  Of course I may also have the EOS ROM in the wrong socket as well.
If anyone knows the socket locations for these chips, or could take a system
apart and tell me which chips are in sockets U20, U21, U22 and U8 I would
greatly appreciate it.

In case it becomes useful to anyone else, I can tell you the following
details about the chips in my machine

The EOS ROM is an 8K ROM labeled as follows:

443 VC 5174
2369-4201
R42269D
Coleco 1983

The first 16K of the SmartWriter code is stored in a ROM chip labeled

Coleco 1984
R41539
2475013
M448985
8440G

The last 16K of the SmartWriter code is stored in a ROM chip labeled
Coleco 1984
R41545
2475014
M448978