[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 38, Issue 3

shonmccallum at juno.com shonmccallum at juno.com
Wed Jun 18 18:52:08 CEST 2008

            Troy is very knowledgeable about the Smartwriter rom’s. I remember the first Adam Expansion module #3 that I purchased back in 1983 before Christmas season. I ended up returning a few to the store since the Smartwriter was dead on arrival. Coleco rushed these machines to market before the Christmas season.
            Regarding the R80 Smartwriter rom. This is the latest official released version of Smartwriter. R80 still has some bugs but it was the best released version. Coleco did make a unreleased R83 and R84 Smartwriter. They were going to release R84 in 1985 but by then the ADAM was canceled. Some of the things R84 does is add features and improves bugs. One of the features it added was support to see a second ADAM disk drive. The R80 can only sees one ADAM disk drive. Also the line spacing error and other bugs were fixed in R84. The person I know that has the R84 Smartwriter will not release it. That is a shame since it would have been nice for the ADAM community to see the latest version of the Smartwriter that Coleco developed. Over the years I have made several attempts to get a copy of these R84 Smartwriter ROM's but have been unsuccessfully. I have been told that some of the features found in the Smartwrite Elite cartridge is similar to R84 Smartwriter.