[Coladam] good news from Dr. D. and Ms. Rin

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Aug 14 09:20:02 CEST 2008

    Hi all, we meant to stop by the chat tonight, but Erin had a long
workday dealing with fallout (literally) from the recent propane tank
explosions in Toronto.  And in case Pam or Richard didn't spill the
beans already, here's some good news:

    Saturday, we finally received an appointment letter for Erin's
immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal.  It's been
scheduled for Thursday, September 11, 2008, 8:30 AM.  So, we will be
in Montreal that week.

    At this interview, they will either say yes or no.  Assuming that
they say yes, Erin has 6 months to complete here move to the US.  As
for timetable, right now we imagine shipping most of her belongings to
Cleveland in December, and actually using the visa to enter the US in
early January, after the holidays but before spring classes start up
again at CWRU.

    One benefit to this taking so long is that it is now past our 2-year
wedding anniversary, so she can enter as a permanent resident "without
conditions" -- her green card will be good for 10 years, instead of 2
which requires us to petition to "adjust status" (at a hefty fee).  As we
understand it, she ought to be able to apply for a Social Security number
right away and work as soon as she has the number.  Also, she ought to be
free to travel outside the US without losing status, so long as she is not
gone for more than a year (like that is going to happen).  This will make
her mother happy :-S

    So, we are excited, and there is a lot of work to do between now and
then.  Erin has to have her official medical exam (scheduled for later
this month) and have yet another set of photos taken.  Aside from perhaps
an $85 fee for digital fingerprinting (we aren't sure yet), all other fees
have been paid.

    *Dr. D.* (and Ms. Rin)