[Coladam] Coladam Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

shonmccallum at juno.com shonmccallum at juno.com
Sun Feb 1 19:06:52 CET 2009

            Technically all the double sided 5 1/4" ADAM Disk drives contain a physical 360K IBM style disk drive with most of the drives configured for 320K. Just 99% of the double sided ADAM Disk Drives contain 320K firmware to maintain compatibility with original 160K Coleco disk drives. I think Micro innovations and others had a 360K firmware for the ADAM upon request but it was never that popular since the extra 40K of storage capacity met that one would give up the ability to read all 160K original Coleco single sided disks and 320K double sided disks. Having 320K firmware to turn an IBM style 360K disk drive into an ADAM drive was the most popular. Being able to read existing 160K original Coleco 160K single sided disks was so important is why 99% of all ADAM 5 1/4 double sided Disk drives only support 320K. All that is needed on a Micro Innovations 320K 5.25 Disk drive is a changing of one eprom firmware chip to turn it into a 360K drive. I do not have any 360K firmware images from Mark Gordon but if my memory is correct it was a option at the time of ordering the drive back in the late 80's.         <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />