[Coladam] ADAMEm/SDL port

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 2 19:39:53 CET 2009

Hey guys... just an update on my progress with the ADAMEm/SDL port.

I've been working mainly on the Mac OS X specifics the past few weeks. I have now added fixes for the following things:

o Cartridge ROMs selectable from File->Open
o Disk/Tape images for all drives and tapes accessible by File->Open as well
o Command key menu shortcuts work...i.e. Command-Q will close the emulator, Command-O opens the dialog box, etc.
o Full screen mode is somewhat prettier (scanlines removed). When run in double size mode it fills up a good chunk of my display. However, switching on the fly seems to have a problem... the background doesn't repaint. A workaround is to use computer/game reset. I doubt this is specific to the Mac version.
o Preferences screen will write out a config file based on the settings given to ~/Library/Preferences/Adamem.cfg. This config file is compatible with all other versions of ADAMEm. Currently you have to stop the program and restart for the settings to take place, but I'm working on having these settable at runtime as well. Should be the next day or so.

In addition to this, in general (for all SDL ports, including Windows and Linux) I have also been working on adding PowerMate IDE hard disk emulation to the emulator. So far I have added support for a center slot expansion ROM (for booting from hard disk), and the start of IDE emulation. This is still a while from being in a workable state. Sound support works for all versions. I also played around with adding scale2x support for video. It works, but I don't think it's very pretty, so I think I may yank it back out.

To do: Fix Windows port so that ADAMEmMam will function as is the case with the DOS version.

Thus far though, I think it's working pretty well! The emulator is very usable now, both the Windows and Mac version. If I can fix support for the ADAMEmMam front end, I think it would be suitable replacement for the DOS version (which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't), and should have some nice enhancements over the DOS version to boot.

Anyone interested in the Mac version, please email me for a copy. I'll have a Windows binary built in a few more days hopefully.