[Coladam] Help!

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Sun May 31 16:10:45 CEST 2009

heheh... hey now... we're not all like that down here. ;)

I'm well familiar with the entry/exit requirements now. When all this
passport business started in '07 I was planning our honeymoon cruise
to the Caribbean. (I won't get into how dumb I think a stupid piece of
paper is to deter determined terrorists, and/or that terrorist would
be planning an attack from Grand Caymen, but whatever). One of my
coworker's family trips was nearly ruined... they had to leave early
before their trip and drive to Atlanta to pick up a passport for their
son. Anyways, It took 16(!) weeks to process and get Jennifer's the
passport back. Several months later and a few days before the wedding
day I was showing off the fancy new passport to Jennifer's dad... look
at all the itaglio printing! RFID chip! multi colors! Her dad: "Her
name's misspelled." WHAT???!? Sure enough, they had managed to spell
Jennifer, "Jennfier". I called the passport "helpline" and they
weren't sure if it would work (and these are the guy's that are
supposed to know!). One guy told me, "You'll have to get a replacement
passport before your trip otherwise she won't be allowed back in the
country. You'll have to come to the issuing passport agency in person
to get one expedited." That's real convenient! New Orleans is a 7 hour
drive away! Thankfully the rules were relaxed and the immigration/
customs agents looked at the document for a total of about 10 seconds
coming and going. That's secure! :rolleyes

We've still got to get that fixed (plus the name change). Being the
stingineer I'm hoping to get that fixed for free. We've had a baby
girl a couple months ago, and according to the State Department's
website, a copy of her birth certificate is sufficient to satisfy
their WHTI rules for land/sea crossings.

I've been to Canada a few times now. My family went to Glacier
National Park in '91 and we rolled over to the Waterton Lakes Area.
Went to Niagara Falls in '01, and a couple trips to Vancouver/Victoria
(last was in '06 for Canada Day). Aside from Canada Day, getting into
Canada was never the problem, it was getting back (at least after
'01). Funny you mentioned Mandarin. It seemed like people of Chinese
ancestry were everywhere when my buddy and I went in '05, and looking
at the population stats is seems we were right (not that there's
anything wrong with that). I know the west coast is a different animal
in that regard, but I guess that a lot of people from Hong Kong fled
before it was turned back over to the Chinese.

I think we're leaning toward saving Montreal for a better time of the
year. The rental car will cost an extra $100 for the week we'll be up
there just for a couple day stayover and if we go we want to stay in a
nice place, so I figure that's a good $400-500 that would be spent at
a later date (preferably summer or fall).