[Coladam] woot! Check this out!

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Jun 11 02:01:44 CEST 2009

On Wed, June 10, 2009 7:52 pm, Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Got this from r.l. morgan a little while ago:
>
> "That looks like an ADAM test unit in an Atari expansion housing for
> Colecovision. It was made in my old department, the Test Lab, for
> checking voltages and/or waveforms. Without the test manual telling
> you what to expect from each output it's worthless. I wouldn't waste
> my time or money on it; it won't tell you anything about ADAMs you
> don't already know. That would have been the final test after
> undergoing the "bed of nails" circuitboard testing, a pretty neat
> process."

     Ah, I thought it looked like an Expansion Module #1.  And given
the description, it's likely to be a completely passive device -- the
DB connector may just be a convenient way to run bus signals out to
an oscilloscope or VOM.  No logic or smarts in it at all.  In a convenient
portable box that already was made to fit the sideport.  The circuit board
inside might just be bus buffer chips leading to the connector.  Maybe not
even a custom circuit board, but just a hacked existing EM #1 board.  For
tests and prototypes, you do whatever works :-)

> Still, I agree it would be a cool piece to have.

     Yes.

     *Rich*