[Coladam] the auction

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Mon Jun 15 11:03:08 CEST 2009

On Sun, June 14, 2009 11:59 pm, Frances and/or Richard Clee wrote:

> Come on Bob, Rich, geoff, Dale, Daniel - you're the deciders but your
> silence is deafening.

     There is a perverse possibility that the seller of this item is
a lurker on this list, so discussion of "who would pay what" creates
incentives for the seller to bid against himself to increase the price.
But maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist.

     If the item sold for $100, none of this auction stuff, I would
gladly write the seller a check for $100 and be done with it.  If
someone who is comfortable navigating auctions is able make it through
all the gamesmanship, I will contribute up to that amount to the sale.
The seller seems to be an eclectic junkman, based upon what other things
eBay reports him as having for sale at the present time.

     So, if someone like Bob S. who is eBay-savvy can get this thing,
I'll write him a check for $100.  Consider it a contribution to ADAMcon,
which I am otherwise unable to attend this year due to Rin's impending
final move to Cleveland on the 22nd, with its attendant large shipping
expenses.

     Maybe I should just say what the hell and try to figure out how
to place a $100 bid on eBay.  I am not a haggler, give me the price,
and I will pay it -- but I want the guarantee of getting the item.
Auction format, no guarantees, bad for people who are not hagglers.

     *Rich*