[Coladam] eBay is a cheat

Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Mon Jun 15 19:55:01 CEST 2009

It only exceeds the old bid by $1 to save you money...if the going price was
only $60 and you bid $100 you would be expected to pay the $100 for it, not
the $60. This way people can put in the maximum they are willing to pay for
it, but they may still get it cheaper because no one else has bid more than
$60 for it.

It's not perfect, but it allows people to put in one bid for the maximum
they are willing to pay and then not worry about it anymore.

Me, I go the opposite way. I never start bidding until the auction is about
15-30 minutes from being done and hope the current high bidder isn't
watching, or has gone to sleep, or has left their computer for some reason.
If the price gets too high because their initial bid was higher than I'm
willing to go, I quit. I've outbid people a couple of times in the final
minute of an auction. You have to really watch the countdown timer to the
end of the auction and constantly refresh your browser window so you can
tell if you've been outbid or not.