[Coladam] Well, we've learned something...

Joe Blenkle jblenkle at sacnews.net
Wed Jun 17 19:50:17 CEST 2009

Rich...a couple of points...

Yes, 711.24 is an odd number, but when I bid on eBay, I often put in weird numbers too because many people just bid straight dollar amounts and the couple of seconds you gain before they discover they have been outbid by 24 cents can mean the difference between winning and losing.

As for negotiating a lower price between bidder and seller. This is strictly forbidden in eBay auction rules and you are warned against doing it. Plus, if this guy winds up backing out of the sale price, it will be noted on his eBay record. He has a 100% feedback record as it currently stands so it's doubtful he would risk a black mark on his record. He has a "473" by his name, meaning he has bought 473 times with no complaints against him.

I have seen this same person bid on and win many ADAM items in the past...especially hardware items....and I don't recall ever seeing him sell anything.

How would eBay "know" that an item did not
> actually sell for the "winning" price?

It's computerized. Since it requires payment through PayPal, eBay and PayPal (which I believe is owned by eBay), tracks the payment when it is made. This guy is on the hook for $711.24 and PayPal has his credit card & checking account number already on file.

I'd like to know who he is because he certainly must have quite a collection by now.

Joe B.