[Coladam] disk drive problem

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Fri Jul 3 13:46:45 CEST 2009

On Fri, July 3, 2009 12:41 am, Joe Blenkle wrote:

> Just got this note from someone...any ideas anyone?
>
>       Hi. My disk drive is acting up. when i turn adam on, the drive activates
> like there is a disk in the drive when there is not. when a disk is
> inserted, it boots. what could be the problem, any ideas?

     If the drive is otherwise working normally (i.e., disks can
be correctly read and written), I suspect a failed-on disk presence
switch.  Usually it it's an infrared emitter-detector pair; when the
beam is interrupted it means a disk slid in to break the beam.  So it
would suggest that either the emitter or the detector has failed.

     Does the drive ever stop running after a disk is successfully
read?  Or does the motor run all the time?

     *Rich*