[Coladam] disk drive noises and fix?

geoffrey oltmans oltmansg at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 19 23:56:56 CEST 2009

There's a couple of gotchas with changing out drive mechanics...

 Firstly, the disk drive power supply is a rather poor design. If the new drive mechanics uses more power, you will have problems. You should be able to see whether or not this is a problem by looking at the label (usually located on the back by the connectors) and see if the amp rating for each voltage rail is less than or equal to the old mechanics. Chances are if the drive mech is newer than the old one its replacing then it should be fine.

Secondly, the ADAM's drive mechanism has a disk present switch on it. I've never encountered another drive that had this on it, and usually required me being a little creative with a hot glue gun and a microswitch to mount a disk present switch somewhere on the drive body so that the disk contacts the switch when it's installed. This switch wires out to a separate 4-pin connector on the controller board.

Geoff