[Coladam] re Sequel 2.0

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Mon Nov 2 03:31:25 CET 2009

Hi Geoff:

The Midi Mite interface was produced somewhere around 1993 by Bona
Fide Systems (Chris Braymen) who demonstrated it first, I think at
Adamcon 2 or Adamcon 3. I bought mine at Adamcon 4, or shortly
thereafter.

Chris was an Adam owner, a musician, and a programmer. He left the
Adam community somewhere around 1995, leaving some top rate software
for the Adam. Sequel was a big part of that. The Midi Mite interface
is a small box that plugs into the side port of the Adam. It's a
serial device. and has 4 MIDI connections (standard 5 pin connector)
that allow you to connect an electronic piano keyboard, or other
compatible MIDI device,  and play into the Adam, where work can be
edited and saved and played. Sequel records the MIDI events in a
standard .MID file and can then play back through Midi MIte interface
to the keyboard.  Downloaded MIDI files (as long as they weren't to
long and were within the memory constraints of the ADAM) could also be
loaded into Sequel and played.

The whole MIDI capability that Chris is credited for adding to the
ADAM world was a wonderful addition to ADAM's capabilities. Chris also
supported the whole thing with a number of support and conversion
programs that included a set of drivers which enabled basic
programmers to include music files in their basic programs.
Unfortunately, nobody took real advantage of these drivers. The annual
Christmas Card is probably the only example of a basic program that
uses them, and Chris wrote that himself in the early '90's. Hangers-on
such as myself have been using that program ever since. It was really
I believe, to provide an example of how the MIDI drivers could be used
in the hopes that other ADAM programmers would pick up on the idea.
There was also a slide display program (also Chris') that provided a
wonderful information display at the front desk for ADAMCON IV.  I
used it myself at ADAMCON 10 for a presentation.

Anyway, that's a bit of history for you. The Midi Mite sold for around
$70.  US. Not sure if there's too many left out there.

Ron Mitchell