[Coladam] Issues with Printer

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Wed Jan 6 06:40:46 CET 2010

Hi Craig. Good to hear from you again.

I'm still around the Adam community, but not nearly as active as I
once was. My ADAM also lives in a box. Last time I set it up, it blew
the house breakers, and my new wife  (got re-married a year ago last
November) responded in pretty much the same way yours did to you. And
it's her house, so ADAM went back in the box.

Anyway, I still do ADAM stuff, but I use an emulator to do it. If you
go to

http://www.komkon.org/~dekogel/

and follow the links to  Marcel deKogel's ADAMEM, you can read all
about it.  ADAMEM is really a neat piece of work, but some of us would
say it's not the same as using the real thing.

Re your printer, there is one possibility.

On the left side of the printer, hidden underneath the cover, there is
a relay. Sometimes that relay needs cleaning. Yours appears to be
working partially, but you might want to try a cleaning of the
contacts on that relay. You can use a burnishing tool, or perhaps even
some isopropyl alcohol in a Q-tip. The purpose of that relay is to
tell the printhead (that's what the ribbon rides on) where to stop
moving left. Sometimes, if the relay contacts are dirty, they don't
make proper contact, and the print head will actually try to keep
moving left, repeatedly hitting the left side of the printer case. In
your case, the print head does stop and return partially to the right,
but perhaps the contacts are not completely made, so the ADAM does not
get a "ready" indication from the printer.

That's just a wild guess, but I know that relay has failed for
others.  Worth a try anyway.

Good to hear from you again.  I'm now in Qualicum Beach.

Ron Mitchell