[Coladam] Issues with Printer

Craig Lindholm eclindholm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:43:12 CET 2010

Hi Ron

I looked at the emulator a few years back, but, as you said, it's not
that same thing ( Plus, I use a Linux machine, so I would need to run
the emulator inside Windows which is also running in a virtual machine
on Linux....Ugh. I'm getting a headache :-) ).

I looked at the switch, and it seams to be working fine. I toggled with
my finger, and the print head immediately stopped, the daisy wheel spun,
then the print moved to the right about an inch. No carriage return
though, and no printing. This weekend, I will open it up further and
take a look at the switch, the platen motor, and the print solenoid.

Craig

On 01/05/2010 09:40 PM, Ronald Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Craig. Good to hear from you again.
>
> I'm still around the Adam community, but not nearly as active as I
> once was. My ADAM also lives in a box. Last time I set it up, it blew
> the house breakers, and my new wife  (got re-married a year ago last
> November) responded in pretty much the same way yours did to you. And
> it's her house, so ADAM went back in the box.
>
> Anyway, I still do ADAM stuff, but I use an emulator to do it. If you
> go to
>
> http://www.komkon.org/~dekogel/
>
> and follow the links to  Marcel deKogel's ADAMEM, you can read all
> about it.  ADAMEM is really a neat piece of work, but some of us would
> say it's not the same as using the real thing.
>
> Re your printer, there is one possibility.
>
> On the left side of the printer, hidden underneath the cover, there is
> a relay. Sometimes that relay needs cleaning. Yours appears to be
> working partially, but you might want to try a cleaning of the
> contacts on that relay. You can use a burnishing tool, or perhaps even
> some isopropyl alcohol in a Q-tip. The purpose of that relay is to
> tell the printhead (that's what the ribbon rides on) where to stop
> moving left. Sometimes, if the relay contacts are dirty, they don't
> make proper contact, and the print head will actually try to keep
> moving left, repeatedly hitting the left side of the printer case. In
> your case, the print head does stop and return partially to the right,
> but perhaps the contacts are not completely made, so the ADAM does not
> get a "ready" indication from the printer.
>
> That's just a wild guess, but I know that relay has failed for
> others.  Worth a try anyway.
>
> Good to hear from you again.  I'm now in Qualicum Beach.
>
> Ron Mitchell
>

> On 5-Jan-10, at 7:07 PM, Craig Lindholm wrote:
>
>> Hi Geoff
>>
>> Even in Typewriter mode, nothing prints or carriage return. I am going
>> to take it apart and check contacts.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On 01/05/2010 07:19 AM, geoff+oltmansfamily.org wrote:
>>> If you're in Electric Typewriter mode, then whatever you type should
>>> print
>>> immediately. However, if you enter Word Processor mode by hitting