[Coladam] Issues with Printer

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Fri Jan 8 01:09:58 CET 2010

Hmmmm.

As you know, the printer is also the power supply to the entire
computer. I do know that the output voltages can change on the
printer. Those of us who hooked up hard drive interface cards to the
ADAM motherboard (the original BJ Lingrel installation) found that the
output from some printers would be sufficient to drive the extra card,
but would result in the video chip not getting quite enough juice, and
hence, strange colours on the video screen. Switch printers, and all
was well for a while. Some worked, some caused problems.

So it might well be that components have changed their electrical
characteristics with age.  Again, just a wild guess, and I could be
completely wrong. (Been known to happen).

By the way, the ADAM emulator site has available a version that can be
compiled for the Linux Platform. I think that's what the original was
first written for. It's up there on Marcel deKogel's site. One of my
ongoing challenges one of these days is to do what Dale Wick and Geoff
Oltmans and others  have already done and compile a version of ADAMEM
to run on my Linux box here. I just want to see if I can do it.  That
would eliminate the house of cards you described with one emulator
running atop another.

Ron