[Coladam] Software questions from a newb

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Jan 21 19:45:45 CET 2010

On Thu, January 21, 2010 11:59 am, Craig Lindholm wrote:

> what is the difference between Smartbasic 1.x fro Mr Drushel and
> SmartBasic 2.0 from Coleco? which is used more?!

     Hi Craig, SB1.x was derived from SB1.0, not 2.0, though I had
complete disassemblies of both in front of me for study.  SB1.x
implements as commands things that people used PEEKs, POKES, and
machine code CALLs to do in SB1.0.  Unfortunately, the extra functions
take an extra 8K of code (so LOMEM is moved to 35xxx instead of 27407).

     Some of the extra functions include:  direct access to serial
and parallel ports, hard disks, memory expanders, real-time clocks;
direct disk/tape block I/O and formatting, complete TEXT40 (monitor)
and TEXT80 (serial terminal) modes, screen color changes without POKEs,
direct access to EOS function calls without machine code wrappers.

     Basically it implemented stuff I was using to reverse-engineer
device drivers for ADAM hardware, and to disassemble and fix bugs in
Coleco software.

     SB1.x formerly sold for $30 (retail; dealer cost was $20 to resell
at $30), came on disk/tape with printed manual; but the binaries are free
now.  I bought back some unsold physical dealer inventory before giving
anything away, as a courtesy to Richard Clee.

     I do not seem to have a copy of SB1.x accessble online anywhere.
Let me dig around a little...

     *Dr. D.*