[Coladam] Software questions from a newb

Ron Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Mon Jan 18 07:56:18 CET 2010

Craig, I sincerely hope that others will reply to your question about
software. This board is for newbies like yourself, and we all need to
help as much as we can.  It's probably a good thing to make a list of
this stuff.

Word Processor.  I like Speedywrite  (David White Software). However
there is also VDE.com that operates under CP/M or TDOS. All of which
gives rise to a basic division of opinion amongst us, and probably a
question that should be asked of you first.  The ADAM was capable of
using its own native operating system or CP/M (Control Program for
Microprocessors) which pre-dates DOS by at least 5 years.

Some of us never took to CP/M, and preferred to stay with software that
ran under ADAM's native operating system, Elementary Operating System or
EOS. I'm one of those who prefers CP/M, and so my favourite software for
ADAM might reveal a bit of a bias.

For the balance of this answer I'll assume that you're not interested in
CP/M - which really runs better with a disk drive (better yet, 2 disk
drives, and better even still a hard drive)

So, back to your question.....

Wordprocessor    -   Speedywrite
Spreadsheet	 -   Adamcalc
Database	 -   (I don't really have any for ADAM EOS)  There is D-Base II
available under CP/M
Tape Backup      -  JKL Utilities, AJM Filemanager, Quickcopy
Utilities	 -  AJM Disk Doctor, Uncle Ernie's Toolkit

Graphics	 - Powerpaint (Sol Swift)
Tape Backup	 - Filemanager, AJM Software
IDE		 - MacAdam assembler
		 - Various versions of SmartBASIC with tools included (ie - Autoaid -
Australian SmartBasic, etc. SmartBasic 2.0 (Coleco)
games  		-  I'm not really a games person, and I really couldn't give
you any personal preferences.  Hopefully others will address that
Multimedia	- Chris Braymen's Sequel 2.0, Chris Braymen's Multi-media
Utilities,

I'm attaching directory listing of the disk images I currently have
available on my emulator. I can send you any of these you like, but then
the problem is going to be getting them onto a data pack for your
system. Not sure at the moment how to do that. The all came from a CD
issued a few years back by the Maine Adam Library (Bob Sebelist). Don't
know if Bob is still around or not.

Hope this helps, and that others chime in

Ron Mitchell