[Coladam] ADAM modem & viruses

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Fri Jan 22 21:32:22 CET 2010

On Fri, January 22, 2010 2:14 pm, Joe Blenkle wrote:
> I think I got this "virus" from you once in the past and didn't understand
> about it not running in SmartBasic...I tried and tried and tried...
>
> So it will run as is in Quick or GW Basic? I have them both on my computer.

    It will run until it gets to the Applesoft file I/O in lines
550 through 580.  You could delete those lines and replace with

550 OPEN "virus.out" FOR OUTPUT AS #1
560 PRINT #1, y$
570 CLOSE #1
580 REM you have to delete the original line 580

which will give you an output file containing the unencrypted
Visual Basic code.  It's MS-DOS text, you can view it with any
text editor.

    If the program were rewritten to break the 2076 characters up
into separate string variables such that all were less than or
equal to 255 characters long, then you would avoid the string too
long error.  It would require 8 strings of length 255 and then a
9th for the remainder (36 characters).  Then you would have to
run the decrypt algorithm over each of the 9 strings, and then
write the 9 partial results in order to the output file.

    The existing program loads just fine in SmartBASIC, because the
fact that there will be string overflow is not apparent to the
parser -- it will occur only when you run it.

    *Dr. D.*