[Coladam] Delete a backup file on DDP

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Wed Jan 27 22:41:11 CET 2010

type

recover doc1

that turns your 'h' file into an 'H' file

then type

delete doc1

That should do it.

Each time you save a file the previous version with that name gets
saved as a backup (ie with the small letter). It's SmartBasic's way of
protecting us from ourselves. Like all such features, it sometimes
gets in the way.

However, there one other thing to note with this.

Let's say you've got quite a number of files on your datapack and
you've re-written then a number of times, and saved this and that over
a period of time. Each time you delete a file, the file doesn't
actually get deleted. It's only marked as deleted in the directory.
It's still actually there, occupying space. So after a while, you're
likely to get an error message "no more room" even though you've still
got space showing on the datapack. What it means is that your
directory is filled with files that you've actually deleted. The 'no
more room' thing can also happen if you have a lot of small files on a
datapack. The directory has space only for a certain number,  (if I
recall it's 32 or something like that). So even though you've got
space on your datapack, the number of files exceeds the space
available for directory entries, and you can't add any more.

There's a way around this called "crunching" the directory. File
Manager 2.1 will fix that for you.  It's on its way. See my previous
message

Ron