[Coladam] Computer error question for you smart people out there.

Steve Pitman swp at cinci.rr.com
Thu Feb 11 23:41:38 CET 2010

The atapi.sys is related to the hard drive controller.  I've read that some
malware can also camouflage themselves as atapi.sys.

You mentioned that you don't see the last two lines, if you aren't seeing
atapi.sys on your blue screen then your PC problem could be caused by lots
of other things.  Here are a few suggestions,  you may have already tried...

update the drivers (video, sound, anything else you can).

try uninstalling your current virus scanner or firewall (if you have McAfee
then you may have to run a "McAfee removal utility" to actually get rid of
all the components).

run memory test software (I think you did that already)

try running a virus/malware scan...  www.trendmicro.com has one you can run
for free on their website (disable your old one first)

check the windows event logs for other errors

unplug any unecessary devices to see if crashes continue or plug USB devices
into other ports (I had a USB printer that was causing crashes occasionally
even though I wasn't even printing)

If it's a pentium 4....   then is your used space on the drive over 137
gigs?   my Pentium 4 PC has issues with that, it's related to the Intel
controller on board.  I had to install Intel Application Accelerator to fix
it but still had occasional issues.

Not sure how deep you want to go with this but maybe try another XP install
(or other OS) and see if it crashes,  I used Bootit Next Generation to do a
dual boot of two copies of XP (my old XP install and a new install).  Not
sure if you want to go into all that but the 30 day trial of the boot
program is here.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm   it's not very
user friendly so don't say I didn't warn you, lol   A video tutorial here
shows you how to create a second copy of XP on your PC (assuming you are
using XP),
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation-tutorials.htm

Good luck,
Steve