[Coladam] Cartridge Roundup by Jim Notini (article written in 1990 about Coleco cartridges) [PART 2]

Daniel Bienvenu newcoleco at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 21 01:25:13 CET 2010

The following is not the complete list of Coleco cartridges, and not the complete list from the NIAD newsletter... it will takes too long to type and the columns can be screwed up easily depending on the way you're checking the information. The notes between ( ) are my personal two cents.

NAME : 9 TO 5
PRODUCED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : ADAM DEMO
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 24K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(Already a problem. I've seen a cartridge of it at the ADAMCon that was apparently used to promote and sell Coleco Adam computers)

NAME : ADAM DIAGNOSTIC
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 32K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : APPLE CIDER SPIDER
PRODUCED BY : SIERRA ON-LINE
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Remember that Jim Notini stated that he was able to give us the ROM SIZE because he got copies of these games and utilities onto disks)

NAME : ASTRO CHASE
PRODUCED BY : PARKER BROTHERS
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : BLANK TAPE RESTORER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : BLUE PRINT
PRODUCED BY : CBS SOFTWARE
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : BUCK ROGERS TAPE RESTORER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : CABBAGE PATCH KIDS ADVENTURES IN THE PARK+
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(This version may be the one titled "128K", which is the same game as the original version but with improved graphics and added obstacles.)

NAME : CHALLANGER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : CHESS CHALLANGER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : DESTRUCTION DERBY
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : DIG DUG
PRODUCED BY : ATARISOFT
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(As we know it now, this game was developed and finally released by Digital Press [Sean Kelly] into cartridges at the beggining of the new millenium, and then re-released for awhile with a label variation more "Atarisoft looking" from AtariAge web site.)

NAME : DINO EGGS
PRODUCED BY : MICROFUN
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Remember that Jim Notini stated that he was able to give us the ROM SIZE because he got copies of these games and utilities onto disks)

NAME : DISK DRIVE BURN-IN
PRODUCDED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : DRACULA
PRODUCDED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : DRAGON STOMPER
PRODUCDED BY : STARPATH
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : EARTH DIES SCREAMING, THE
PRODUCDED BY : STARPATH
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : ESCAPE FROM THE MINDMASTER
PRODUCDED BY : STARPATH
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(We know that a ROM exists, I've played it).

NAME : FALL GUY
PRODUCDED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : FINAL TEST
PRODUCDED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : GAMMA TEST
PRODUCDED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : GLOBE GRABBER
PRODUCDED BY : MICROFUN
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : HORSE RACING
PRODUCDED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : LORD OF THE DUNGEON
PRODUCDED BY : PROBE 2000
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(We know that Digital Press (Sean Kelly) did release this game into special cartridges capable of saving the player's game progression. If we think about it, this game was supposed to be the first videogame cartridge ever to use a save game option, no?)

NAME : LUNAR LEEPER
PRODUCDED BY : SIERRA ON-LINE
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : M*A*S*H
PRODUCDED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : MADDEN FOOTBALL
PRODUCED BY : CBS SOFTWARE
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : MELTDOWN
PRODUCDED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : MEMORY MANOR
PRODUCDED BY : FISHER PRICE
SIZE : 16K
RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(One of the listed games as released and public domain at the same time. Seems contradictary based on what he said himself in the article.)

NAME : MOGUL MANIAC W/JOYBOARD
PRODUCDED BY : AMIGA
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : MR. TURTLE!
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(As far as I understand the concept of this game, it's supposed to be a mix between an educational game and a plateform+adventure game where you move mr.turtle around to pick up letters to spell the word PEARL in a colored not easy scenary.)

NAME : MUSIC DEMO
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 24K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : NUMBER BUMPER
PRODUCED BY : SUNRISE SOFTWARE
SIZE : 16K
RELEASED, N.I.A.D.
(At the end of the issue, I can see that this educational game was for sale at N.I.A.D. for $15.95 but they don't specify it as a game cartridge. Personally, I've never seen a cartridge of it, or even played this game.)

NAME : PASTFINDER
PRODUCED BY : ACTIVISION
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : PHASER PATROL
PRODUCED BY : STARPATH
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : PHEONIX
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : PORKY'S
PRODUCED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Well, I've played a prototype ROM file and I've never passed the 3rd screen. You first start by building two ladders on top of trees. Then you have to escape by reaching the top of the screen while a naked woman is taken a shower in the center of the screen and notice your presence. And then you've to cross the highway(?) filled with random stuff to... I don't know I've reached the other side.)

NAME : POWERLORDS
PRODUCED BY : PROBE 2000
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Again, Digital Press (Sean Kelly) did release this game in cartridge format. I should say that without instructions I don't understand what to do, but it seems easier to play than Lord of the Dungeon.)

NAME : PROJECT NAME BY LINE V1
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 32K
RELEASED, S.M. VIDEO
PRICE : $24.95
( The Coleco Graphics Processor (C.G.P.) is the real name of this Coleco's In-House graphic design utility as well as a means of developing code for most of their cartridges and Supergames. C.G.P. also served as a means for Coleco programmers to port over code from VAX machines as well as send code from ADAM to the VAX units. The main purpose of this program is in its graphic design potential and ability to create sprites for implementation of graphics into their games. )

NAME : PROJECT NAME BY LINE V2
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 32K
RELEASED, S.M. VIDEO
PRICE : $24.95
(I didn't know there was more than a version of it.)

NAME : PURSUIT OF PINK PANTHER, THE
PRODUCED BY : PROBE 2000
SIZE  : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(I did find years ago a mention of this game project in a review of I think was the CES'84 (so during the vg crash period). In the same article, a company was also speaking of a future modem-like device that will allow a pay-per-play system for ColecoVision owners to play games to be stored in big servers like The Source which can be described as an early attempt to connect people like the Internet does today. Unfortunately, copyrights and other problems did makes the project not possible.)

NAME : QUICK STEP
PRODUCED BY : IMAGIC
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : RIP CORD
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : ROBOTRON 2084
PRODUCED BY : ATARISOFT
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : ROUND UP
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SCRAPER CAPER
PRODUCED BY : MICROFUN
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SHORT CIRCUIT
PRODUCED BY : MICROFUN
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SIDE TRAK
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SKIING
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Well, I've a problem here because I'm pretty sure someone told me that the game Skiing released by Telegames was not made by Telegames but was bought by them to release it. And even if the skiing game in the Coleco presskit looks quite amazing, nothing tells us that they may have done instead the version Telegames did sell and forget about the goggles view point. If anyone has more informations about Skiing, please share with us.)

NAME : SMARTBASIC RESTORER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : SMARTDSK CART
PRODUCED BY : WALTERS SOFTWARE
SIZE : ?
RELEASED, NIAD

NAME : SMURF PLAY'N LEARN
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SMURFETTE'S BIRTHDAY (Previously named PAPA SMURF'S TREASURE HUNT)
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Please note that Smurf Play'N Learn and Smurfette's Birthday are both using the same game code in the catalog which indicates me that they abandoned smurf Play'N Learn to go with the Treasure Hunt game renamed later Smurfette's Birthday.)

NAME : SPACEMASTER X-7
PRODUCED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SPECTAR
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : SUPER ACTION CONTROLLER TEST
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 6K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : SUPER COBRA
PRODUCED BY : PARKER BROTHERS
SIZE : 16K
RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(One of the listed games as released and public domain at the same time. Seems contradictary based on what he said himself in the article.)

NAME : SWORD AND THE SORCERER, THE
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
( Well, a ROM dump was done to reveal that this game appears to be at the stage of a demonstration of what the game should be, not playable, only a one screen animation with sound effects. )

NAME : TAC-SCAN
PRODUCED BY : SEGA
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : TAPE DRIVE BURN-IN
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : TAPE UTILITY REVISION 22
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : TEST MENU
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : TIME RUNNER
PRODUCED BY : MICROFUN
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : TUNNELS & TROLLS
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : TURMOIL
PRODUCED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(There was an attempt by a programmer to do his own ColecoVision version of Turmoil. I wonder if this project is still active or dead.)

NAME : VANGUARD
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(The rumor is that the project was abandonned and the programmer did work on another scrolling game project : Moon Patrol)

NAME : VIDEO HUSTLER
PRODUCED BY : KONAMI
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : WILD WESTERN
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(We know for sure that a mockup cartridge was done by Coleco.)

NAME : WINGS
PRODUCED BY : CBS SOFTWARE
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : WIZARD OF ID: WIZMATH
PRODUCED BY : SYDNEY DEVELOPMENT
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(I'm not sure this game was never released in cartridge)

NAME : WIZARD OF OZ
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

NAME : WIZARD OF WOR
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE
(Well, I'll need to check again the presskit, but I think this game was supposed to be produced by CBS SOFTWARE or CBS ELECTRONICS, not COLECO...)

NAME : WORD FEUD
PRODUCED BY : XONOX
SIZE : 8K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN

NAME : YOKES'S ON YOU
PRODUCED BY : FOX GAMES
SIZE : 16K
NOT RELEASED, PUBLIC DOMAIN
(It's an error of typing the game's name I guess because I've a ROM file here titled THE YOLK'S ON YOU by 20th Century Fox.)

NAME : Z-80 MACRO ASSEMBLER
PRODUCED BY : COLECO
SIZE : ?
NOT RELEASED, NOT AVAILABLE

-----

The rest of the list is filled with games we already know to be in cartridges, and doesn't include the double-ender ones, and very rare cartridges like SUPER SKETCH. As for the retail prices, the cheapest ones $14.95 was (from TeleGames USA) CARNIVAL, COSMIC AVENGER, COSMIC CRISIS, DEFENDER, DONKEY KONG JUNIOR, GORF, LADY BUG, LOOPING, MR.DO!, PEPPER II, SMURF RESCUE IN GARGAMEL'S CASTLE, SMURF PAINT'N PLAY, SPACE FURY, SPACE PANIC, STRIKE IT, SUBROC, TANK WAR, VENTURE and VICTORY.