[Coladam] A look at NIAD Newsletter

Steve Pitman swp at cinci.rr.com
Mon Feb 22 03:00:53 CET 2010

The early ones were Smartbasic programs with some machine code.  Later games
like Robothief and Adam Bomb 2 are 100% machine code.

For Adam Bomb 2, I used Smartbasic as my work enviroment when writing it
early on,  I would work on a module and put the code into DATA statements
and use Smartbasic to poke them into memory,  once that part of my code was
tested and I was happy with it I then saved that section of memory to a
binary file, deleted the Smartbasic program and began on the next module.
Eventually I ended up with like 50 machine code files that were all parts of
Adam Bomb 2.  Eventually memory got full to the point where I had to ditch
Smartbasic alltogether so I wrote a utility that would load all my code into
memory, including the stuff that would reside in the 64k expander (graphics,
text, etc..) and it allowed me to edit/write code directly into memory and
then execute it.  it was a scary thing to do, I saved often  :)

That covers the coding part of Adam Bomb 2,  as for the graphics I made a
game editor,  it allowed me to scroll around the world in Adam Bomb 2, I
think the game covers 180 screens...  and with the editor I could place a
rock, tree, item, person, etc... anywhere I wanted to.  I could click on an
object and a small paint window would pop up so I could modify the object.
I could click on a person and another window would appear that allowing me
to enter data for that person, his name, the text that he would say, any
objects that he would give you, etc. it also had diagnostics that would
check all the screens for errors, for example... making sure that you don't
walk off one screen and end up in the middle of a tree on the next screen,
and it would keep track of items,  there was no way I wanted to manually
scroll through 180 screens counting things like people or crystals, lol.
Everything you see in Adam Bomb 2 was done with this tool, fonts, sprites,
etc...    I spent over a year making this tool and Adam Bomb 2,  my idea was
that I could easily use it to produce future sequels in a fraction of the
time that Adam Bomb 2 took me, and with almost no new coding required.
Well, that was my plan at the time...

I started "Adam Bomb 3: the RPG" shortly after but didn't go very far with
it. It was to be similar to Adam Bomb 2 (built with my same game editor) but
included monster battles (like the typical Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy
turn based battles), My idea was to distribute this small "monster maker"
Smartbasic program that I wrote and people could use it to paint a creature,
set all the stats and then send me the file.  I would take the files that
people submitted and add the monsters to the Adam Bomb 3 game and return the
favor with a free copy of the game when it was finished.  This would have
been a blast several years earlier, there are some very creative people out
there, no telling what they would have came up with,  but two things stopped
me from finishing that project....  the fact that it would have required
more than 64k of expansion ram (which some people didn't have) and also by
that point I didn't think that there would be more than a few people left
who would be playing it.

Thanks,
Steve