[Coladam] adam ddp tones to PC

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Wed Mar 3 03:31:30 CET 2010

Yes, it has been done, but so far as I know, not with a PC.

Back when the earth was flat and there were dragons at either end,
circa 1985,  some of us used to make our own digital data packs using
60 minute cassette tapes. Not all tape decks were suited to the
purpose. It was usually best to have a tape deck with double
cassettes  (one playback, one playback/record) where you had the old
analog level meters. You had to make sure that the recording level was
way up in the "red".

There were some brands of cassette tapes that were better than others.
Those of us in Ottawa used mostly Sony HF60 cassettes. The process was
hit and miss, and some had better luck with it than others.

Then Trisyd Video in Toronto came out with a better way, using a
device (Can anyone remember the name of it??) that connected to the
2nd tape drive on the ADAM, you could format a blank cassette as a
data pack using one already formatted as a master. The system provided
for making centre directory data packs or those used for games, which
as I recall, had the directory at one end or the other.

It would be interesting to try the method you're suggesting. I see no
reason other than recording level why it wouldn't work. On my Mac here
I have a program called Sound Studio, and I can import cassette tapes
into it and turn the tracks into AIFF files, which can than be
imported into iTunes. You could then play that onto a blank cassette
and see if ADAM could read it.

Worth a try. Almost tempts me to dig my real ADAM out of the workshop.

Ron Mitchell