[Coladam] More fun adventures in CP/M

Ronald Mitchell bytehacker at tallcedarskennels.com
Thu Mar 4 07:33:02 CET 2010

I can't really debate that. I've grown used to using TDOS, and I'm
probably biased.

Most of my ADAM experience was as president of the Adam User Friendly
Group in Ottawa which had Guy Cousineau and Tony Morehen as members.
Whatever they wrote, we used and liked. As a member of that group, I
just assumed that Adam Owners everywhere were as much into CP/M as we
were. And all of us in Ottawa saw TDOS as an improvement over Coleco's
implementation of CP/M. It wasn't until sometime later that I realized
that the vast majority of the Adam community weren't nearly as
interested as I was.

To me it's a matter of personal choice. I've used CP/M on other
systems, but I''m far more familiar with TDOS. The shortcomings you're
presently finding are certainly quite valid, and probably account for
a good part of the reason why the Adam community as a whole didn't
embrace Guy's and Tony's work as much as we did in Ottawa.

I've gotten in trouble before defending the work of my two friends who
both left the community some time ago. To me their contribution in
terms of adding capability to the ADAM was absolutely huge. Others may
be critical, but I cannot.  Without TDOS, I would have ditched the
Adam years ago.

Ron Mitchell