[Coladam] Smartwriter R81 and R84 update

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Mon Mar 8 15:15:33 CET 2010

On Mon, March 8, 2010 4:31 am, shonmccallum at juno.com wrote:

> Smartwriter revision 81 and 84 [...]
> is suppose[d] to have less bugs and more features and is
> the best version available.

    If anyone is interested...over a decade ago I did re-source
SmartWriter R80 (with whatever CP/M-based disassembler I had at the
time, does Z80DIS22 sound right?) and add in the missing disk 2 (DRIVE D)
support for STORE/GET.  The original rationale was to get at the RAMdisk
routines and the (non-functional) debug code to load a program over the
ADAMlink modem at boot time (!), as well as verify stuff for use with
ADAMserve.  I know that there was a disk-based SmartWriter hack/patch that
added DRIVE D support (I imagine that a 128K-or-greater RAMdisk was needed,
or else a 64K but SW's use of it as extra pages was disabled), so I am sure
that this patch has originated several times in the ADAM community.

    *Dr. D.*