[Coladam] Demons & Dragons plus Packcopy

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 06:00:30 CET 2010

I know the disk version was not copy-protected and for that matter 99% of
all software was not copy-protected on the ADAM. There were methods used of
serialization where you had to enter a code everytime you used a certain
program and the other way of copy-protection that was used (by Strategic
Software on ProofReader, MMSG on some of their titles and Walter Software on
their later titles) was by creating a bad block on the disk or DDP and then
having their program check for the existence of the bad block. If it was not
found, then the program would error out. Copying these disks were no problem
thru the use of a copy program on an IBM compatible and with a good Dual
Tape Deck set at the right recording levels one could make a copy of the
DDP. Of course the copy would contain the bad block. The only other method
to circumvent this bad block check routine would be to hack the program and
strip out the routine to check for bad blocks.

The only other thing to try would be to first file copy all of the files on
the D&D DDP and then copy block 0 from the source DDP to the destination
DDP. If the copy won't work, then some kind of protection was used.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a damaged DDP or a
block or range of blocks has become corrupted and therefor is causing your
problem.

Last resort would be to just play it thru an emulator!