[Coladam] My proposition of new compression algorithms - DAN0 and alternatives (second try)

Daniel Bienvenu newcoleco at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 19 19:55:23 CET 2010

Hello,

Note : this message is a follow up to another thread I've done only at ColecoProgramming Yahoo Group web page.

For those who doesn't have a clue of what it's all about, let's say that compression algorithms are used to store more data in less space, which is useful for making projects on vintage consoles and computers.

I've done a lot of thinking lately and the result is an alternative to straight RLE compression without being too complex and too slow for our reality of small resources systems (particulary ColecoVision with only 1KB RAM).

The algorithms I'm proposing can be applied to other systems, not only Coleco machines, but the source codes will need to be adapted of course.

Rather than explaining again all the technical details, and gives all the results based on some tests done with real cases of data to compress, I did a PDF file in english (so you can all read it) with simple words and enough examples to let everyone understand what it's all about. I highly suggest to the programmers and curious people to take a look at the document.

You can find it at the following link :

http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org/p4198/2010-03-18-algorithme-de-compression-dan0.html

Thanks for your attention,

Daniel Bienvenu (alias NewColeco)

! WARNING ! : You can use my algorithms for your oen projects. But if you take advantage of my work for your own projects, please credits properly.