[Coladam] SW roms

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Thu Apr 1 17:56:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, April 1, 2010 8:54 am, Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> In theory I don't see why it couldn't be loaded from disk onto a real machine,
> since you can set up the MIOC to use 32k of intrinsic RAM where the
> SmartWriter ROM would normally go. Depending on how big the image is, it might
> make the boot loader a little trickier, but otherwise it should be possible.

    IIRC, you need at least a 128K memory expander to do this, because
SmartWriter detects and will use the 64K expander as workspace.  You have
to track down all the bank-switch code which expects SW to be in ROM, and
replace that with the configuration to select bank 1 of XRAM as the code
segment.  This will require additional machine code to send the data to
the bank select port (66 I think).

    Hmmm, not sure you could use any XRAM for workspace then, as the
you can't have a lower 32K of one bank and an upper 32K of another bank
activated at the same time.  So probably you would have to patch out the
XRAM-detect code and force it to ignore the XRAM for use as workspace.

> The other option would be to burn them onto EEPROM and replace the R80
> smartwriter ROMs with the new ones.

    That would give the most functionality :-)

    I want to see if the ADAMlink modem detect/program load is still present
in these versions.

    *Rich*