[Coladam] CartCopy +v2.0

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Wed Apr 21 13:38:39 CEST 2010

On Tue, April 20, 2010 10:06 pm, Jim Notini wrote:

> The other alternative is for someone knowledgeable enough like Dr. Rich D.
> or maybe Steve Pitman to take a whack at it if I can't find what I'm looking
> for.... back to the hunt, will let you know ASAP is I find it.

   If it's disk-only software and copy-protected by means of a
specially-formatted "bad" block, then the only way around the protection
is to disassemble the code to find the bad-block check, and patch around
it using a block/byte editor like FileManager.  If the fail condition is
just a JP to SmartWriter, that is a fairly easy 3-byte code sequence to
find, then disassemble around (i.e., you don't have to regenerate the whole
thing to source in order to understand enough to fix it.

   If there is a "bad" block on the original disk, you could find it
with the old DOS utility program Anadisk (by the same people who did
22Nice), or else by just trying to rip a disk image file in DOS -- it
should fail.

   If perchance anyone does have a disk image of it, send it to me and
I will take a look at it (disassembly) sometime in the next week; that's the
soonest I could promise.  Monday is last day of classes here, and my exam and
4 senior projects to grade are the week after.

    *Dr. D.*