[Coladam] About Coleco chess programs

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 20:50:23 CEST 2010

Daniel,

GOOD LUCK with your efforts to program a Chess game for the ColecoVision
(standard system not a MegaCart game I would assume... or Opcode SGM). I
especially like your approach to tackle projects that were "in the Coleco
catalog" like your SpecTank (and thankfully this was finally knocked off by
Scott Huggins' release of Spectar). I think there are a lot of ColecoVision
fans that have followed the system since 1982 that would love to see the
homebrew programmers tackle other such projects that were "in the Coleco
catalog" like RipCord, Side Track, Wild Western (please Eduardo!!), Dracula,
Skiing (first person perspective, not the one we got), etc. When one of
these games finally come to fruition it's like a hole has been finally
filled after all these years. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed all the
other news releases like Ghostblaster, Jeepers Creepers, Space Invaders
Collection, Sky Jaguar, etc., but these abandoned games that Coleco wet our
appetites with, to me, are something a little more special when they finally
make their way to my CV system.

I know I mentioned some of the ADAM Chess games on the chat to you (A-Chess
Sargon, Modem Chess and Chess Champ), but I forgot to mention another Chess
game called Chess Solitaire. This was an interesting variation where you
would actually take over play of a famous match between two champions. I
don't recall all the dynamics of the program, but it is on the DVD so you
can check it out.

I'll have to look at my collection of MSX and SG-1000 games to see if there
is a decent chess program for those systems as this could provide some
incite into the capabilities of a chess game for the CV since these systems
are so similar (as you know).

Jim