[Coladam] About Coleco chess programs

Daniel Bienvenu newcoleco at yahoo.fr
Mon Jul 26 00:13:48 CEST 2010

Thanks Jim, let me know when you find something interesting.

I know that the majority of gamers don't like boardgames, specially something like chess, because it challenges your mind intead of entertains you with a lot of graphics and sounds. However, like Jim mentioned in his reply, many "vaporwares" like a chess program was supposed to be available for the ColecoVision game system, but finaly never reach stade of a prototype (well, Coleco Presskit flyers mention that the screenshot of Skiing came from the game, not an artistic representation, so where is the rom file showing this screenshot?)

It took me about 4 to 5 years to program Reversi (Othello) because of the slow AI (more than hour per game) I had to optimize speed by rewriting completely the engine logic and code parts in assembly codes. I'm expecting the same problem of taking a long period of time to program a chess game
mostly because of a major speed issue.

I'll try to not steal any code from any chess program, but I'll certainly pickup ideas and implement them... maybe it will worth the effort to make the game from scratch, maybe not. Anyway, I'll need testers eventually so I'm expecting at least one person here to give it a try.

See you in the future!

Daniel