[Coladam] sw roms

Rich Drushel drushel at apk.net
Sun Aug 1 16:56:17 CEST 2010

On Sat, July 31, 2010 12:35 pm, Joe Blenkle wrote:

> Hey, just curious...did that SmartWriter rom that supports the 2nd disk drive
> ever get fixed so it can actually read/write to the drive?

     Hi Joe, I haven't done that yet :-(  Believe it or not, I have been
working with SmartWriter stuff for the last week though, off and on, but
it has been to re-learn how to use Z80DIS22 (disassembler) and Z80ASM+
(assembler) using the R57 ROM image.  It has been 13+ years since I have
done significant Z80 work, and I am trying to get up to speed again.

     I had also decided that I wanted to spend some more time commenting the
existing base R80 disassembly, then use it as the basis to re-implement the
disk drive patching that I attempted in the R97.  As I was debugging the
faulty disk I/O earlier in the summer, I found that I had not completely
understood what the code was doing, and that was what led to the R97 patches
not working as I had intended.  So I thought that it would be better to
comment up the R80 code and re-do the R97 stuff, rather than fix up the
existing R97 listing and then have to retype/fold in comments etc. to the
R80 listing.

     If this means that you are really interested in a working version of
the R97 ROM, I can just go back and try to fix it right away instead.  At
now least I seem to have a working DOS and CP/M emulator system set up so
that I can run the programs and make the fixes, which I did not 2 months
ago.

     Sorry for the delays...this is the most I have worked on actual ADAM
programming stuff since probably ADAMcon XIII.

     *Dr. D.*