[Coladam] ANN News Network Disks reading them in Virtual ADAM

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 05:15:12 CEST 2010

Three methods that come to mind quickly:

1) The method you have used were all the formatting is lost at times. Load
Virtual ADAM, browse through the directory listing on the left hand window
and click in the ANN disk image you want, then in the right hand window a
directory listing will appear, click on the filename and it will be
displayed in Notepad automatically (sometimes with the formatting intact.

2) Load Virtual ADAM, mount the ANN disk image to disk drive #1 and chose to
Boot SmartWRITER WP, press the Escape/WP key to enter WP mode, press
Store/Get, press the GET SmartKEY, chose disk drive #1 SmartKEY, a file list
index will be displayed, move the pointer to the file you want and press the
GET SmartKEY, the file will load and display in SmartWRITER, then press the
PRINT function key followed by the PRINT WORKSPACE SmartKey. The file will
be "printed" to a PC text file in the "PRINTER" subdirectory of Virtual
ADAM. The print process could take some time.... just pretend the ADAM Daisy
Wheel Printer is doing the work.

3) Use DCOPY32 and THE ADAM CONNECTION (eos.exe) to convert and transfer the
file from an ADAM EOS Media to a PC text file. If you don't have a 5 1/4"
drive on you PC system, you can still use The ADAM Connection to format a 3
1/2" disk as a 5 1/4" 160K or 320K disk (it does work!!). Then use DCOPY32
to convert the PC disk image to the newly formatted ADAM 3 1/2" disk. Once
you have the disk image tranferred use The ADAM Connection's option to
convert an ADAM file to a PC text file. When typing in the ADAM filename
make sure to type it in exactly as it's spelled (lower and uppercase
matters) and include the type of file in parenthesis, for example:

ADAMtest(H)

and then make sure to adhere to the 8.3 file naming standard on the PC... no
long filenames with these programs, so:

ADAMtest.txt

Also, The ADAM Connection will ask you what type of ADAM file it is so
you'll have to know: SmartBASIC, SpeedyWRITE, Other.

Good Luck Mark and hope this helps... all from memory, but pretty sure it's
right.

Jim