[Coladam] Bypass/Disable Adam SmartWriter

Jim Notini jnoti2 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 08:04:50 CEST 2010

Paul,

Rich laid out some very detailed info. for you, but there is another option
available to you but requires some further ADAM equipment and also an Eprom
burner.

First you would need a Multi-Purpose Interface Board 3 or a Parallel
Interface Board, they ones made by Micro Innovations. I am not sure if
anyone has a supply of these boards anymore, but you could check with Bob
Slopsema or Rich Clee first. As a final resort you could also check with
Terry Fowler of eColeco (buyer beware).

These boards plugged into Expansion Slot #2 inside the Memory Console and
provide numerous functions, but most important to you would be an open Eprom
Socket for the installation of an eprom which has had a program burnt to
it.... therefor the need for an eprom burner. Proms were available back in
the day with SmartBASIC, SmartDSK or ADAM's DeskTop on them and other
programs could have been used as well.

When you turned the ADAM system on with one of these boards installed the
program that was on the eprom would be loaded instead of SmartWRITER... so
basically this is what you'd be looking for.

One way or the other, you will have to burn some eproms, the hard way would
be to burn a set to replace the SmartWRITER eproms that are soldered to the
motherboard. The easier way would be to track down one of these two
expansion cards and then burn a single eprom to install in the socket of one
of these boards.

This is about as far as I can help you as my knowledge of programming is
restricted to Basic and accessing OS functions with CALLs, but at least you
know now that something else is possible and hopefully still available.

Good Luck,
Jim