[Coladam] A difficult and simple question for adamites

Justin Salvato justin76here at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 02:16:18 CET 2010

Daniel,
  I was lucky enough NOT to get a first generation ADAM, you know, the ones
with all the short-circuiting problems.  The ADAM I received had no problems
whatsoever.  Since I was a kid when I received it, I will tell you first why
AS A KID I liked it so much, then as an adult.
  This ADAM was simply complete.  I could type up letters for my dad using
the typewriter option, as I often did back then, could program simple games
and animations through SmartBASIC, which I did constantly back then, and
when I wanted to play, I could throw in a ColecoVision game cartridge.  It
was a very easy system for a newbie like myself to use.  For example, if I
wanted to load a program like SmartLOGO or SmartFILER, I would turn the
computer on, throw in the digital data cassette, then pull the computer
reset button.  It would do the rest.  However, if I was using the insanely
popular Commodore 64, I would have to type something like LOAD "*",8,1 and
let's be honest, how many of us even knew what the heck any of that meant,
unless you were an adult that liked to read computer manuals ;)  Also, my
mother credits the ADAM for my improved reading comprehension (reading
everything I could about programming back then), although, if I had received
ANY computer, it would have helped.
  Looking at it as an adult, I am blown away at the simplicity of it all.
Hooking up a modem is as easy as opening the top lid and pressing it into a
slot, not unlike pressing a game cartridge into it's slot.  The programs for
the ADAM make use of the function keys at the top of the keyboard, which,
without having a mouse, makes navigating through a program quite easy.  I
also found out recently that, hold on, let me get this...  According to the
Personal Computer Museum,

“H & R Block in Canada actually did consumer taxes using ADAMCALC for a
number of years and was one of the biggest consumers of after market
products as they used the system well beyond the normal life cycle of the
product (the Adam was discontinued in 1985). ”

Link: http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=20

That speaks volumes to me.  I can understand why people trash the ADAM, but
it is those same people who never even touched one!  They just read about
the electro-static problems it had and stayed far away from it.  No, I used
my ADAM for 6 years before I got rid of it.  Missed it so much, had to buy 2
not that long ago ;)

Justin of North East Pennsylvania
boxing4free.com